After carefully dismantling the car and photographing all the details I found that the
car was in very good condition. No signs of accidents and no serious rust, but some cracks in the metalwork. The aluminium bonnet was heavily modified. A fibreglass bulge was grafted into it and the pots for the additional
headlamps were removed, but they came fortunately with the car. After further examination I found several areas on the body which were streghtened and modified to build in special equipment. A surprise was to find that the
chassis is of Le Mans specification but modified to fit to the rally spec. body. This supports the theory that bodys and chassis (or just identities) were changed between the works cars when needed. The engine was a standard
Spitfire unit, so I have to rebuild a works engine with the works engine parts I got with the car. I found that Jigsaw racing in Desborough has good experience in restoring Spitfires as well as in rebuiding aluminium panels, so
I decided to let them restore the body and the chassis back to 1965 specification. See how the work started...